An evolving compendium of books, links, videos, and podcasts that have inspired and informed my work as a UX and UI designer.
Books about Design
- Elements of Typographic Style, Robert Bringurst
Typography is the key to ALL visual design. At some point, you have to know this stuff.
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information // by Edward Tufte
The best book EVER written about charts and graphs.
- Designing for People // by Henry Dreyfuss
THE original book about usability of physical objects.
- Design of Everyday Things // by Donald Norman
A classic about affordances and how we understand the UI around us.
- Don’t Make Me Think // by Steve Krug
The best book EVER about Web design.
- Interactions of Color // by Joseph Albers
Seminal book about color.
- Grid Systems in Graphic Design // by Josef Müller-Brockmann
Foundational book about using grid systems in page layout.
Books about Being a Creative Professional
- The War of Art // by Steven Pressfield
Required reading for any creative professional
- Orbiting the Giant Hairball // by Gordon Mackenzie
Videos and Podcasts
JFK Apollo Speech at Rice Univ. in 1962
Notice how he outlines the vision and mission, telling the story of why. Great example of communicating in HEADLINES.
Steve Jobs Introducing the iPhone in 2007
Pay attention to how he sets up the problem and then delivers the solution. Great example of communicating in PUNCHLINES.